PDA

View Full Version : Another 4890 bites the dust

papa_celms
07-07-2010, 01:47 AM
Well everyone after getting a new 4890, it looks like im gona have to send it back without having more than 2 months.

This time the issues seems to be heat related but I'm not entirely sure.

when I do a stress test it seems to fail between the tems of 80-91 deg C.

I've tried cranking my fan up to 100% but that doesn's seem to help. I'm guessing that playing GTA4 non stop this last week stressed it to its limits, because when ever I start a game, and let it run for a few min I get some checkerboard pattern then black screen and no response...

I still have my old 8800 so I should be in fairly good shape, but am getting very annoyed at HIS due to the fact that I only have a 2 year warranty and I've gone through 2 cards.

So word to the wise get a lifetime warranty, and hopefully I can get HIS to give me a better card or extended warranty, because it seems like they've had it longer than I have....

Crotan
07-07-2010, 01:59 AM
Sorry to hear that man, it there anything you can do to increase airflow in your case?

Have you already sent it back or is it still in your possession, try down clocking it and see if it still checkerboards on you.

papa_celms
07-07-2010, 02:10 AM
I haven't sent it back yet I'm gona have a friend try it in his PC first.

As for the airflow, I've taken the side pannel on and off seems to make little to no difference. I do have a hybrid physics card thats fairly close to it anly maybe 2-3 in between the two, but I don't think thats the issue since I've had it in there since I got the new card.

If the card checkerboards on my friends pc too I'll attempt to underclock it and see what happens.

Raiden
07-07-2010, 03:05 AM
Well if you are in the market for a new video card I highly recommend the 5850. I recently purchased it and it runs all my games on high at 1080p with great frames. EVGA has lifetime warranties, so I try to stick with them.

papa_celms
07-07-2010, 04:08 AM
Ight thanks for the info. Hopefully it won't come to that since it's still under warranty.

GrossKopf
07-07-2010, 05:02 AM
when I do a stress test it seems to fail between the tems of 80-91 deg C.

Wow! 80-91 deg c?!? Why the hell does your card get so friggin' HOT!? You need to improve your cooling before you get a new card! If you burn up your card, they may not replace it under warranty. I've never seen temps anywhere NEAR that in my computer. Right now my card is sitting at about 40 degrees C just browsing. What sort of case do you have?

Flygon_Wolfe
07-07-2010, 05:31 AM
dude your starting to have more computer problems than I am.

synergy
07-07-2010, 06:54 AM
my laptop was scorching when running this game, i kept lagging out every few minutes down to 2-3 frames per second, so i took a box fan and played with the laptop on top of the fan, the game then ran smooth as butter, so it looks like i need to make some sort of box for my laptop to sit on just to play this damn game...

GrossKopf
07-07-2010, 08:42 AM
They do sell cooling "mats" for laptops you could try. They have a couple fans and usually plug into a LAN port.

Icewielder
07-07-2010, 08:50 AM
Just make sure the fans blow the same direction as the laptops

papa_celms
07-07-2010, 03:11 PM
ya i've tried running it without the case cover on lol dono what else to do...

also it only gets 80-90 deg C when im in game... with default fan settings.

I've recently turned the fan to 100% manual control and it still crashes although it seems to take longer to crash that way.

GrossKopf
07-07-2010, 05:25 PM
What kinda computer case do you have?

papa_celms
07-08-2010, 01:27 AM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144102&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Cases+(Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form)-_-APEVIA+CORP.-_-11144102

Crotan
07-08-2010, 02:01 AM
Looks like the case comes standard with an 80mm fan on the back, do yourself a favor and pick up a high CFM>80 120mm fan and replace it. It has the mounting holes for a 120mm, no idea why they would put a stinking 80mm fan there.

It looks like you also have an area in the front of case in front of the HDD cage for some 80mm fans, possibly two but can't really tell from the newegg pictures. After you buy a nice 120mm fan for outtake, I'd move that 80mm one as intake in front of the HDD cage

Snarky
07-08-2010, 11:22 AM
taking the side cover off might do more harm then good because it all depends on the air flow and with it open you might lose the velocity of the flow which will lead to less cooling. Most of the time you want your fans to flow in the same direction, but it also depends on your case and such. I've seen a few different set-ups and they all worked. In my case I have two intake fans, one at the front and one at the back of the case and my exhaust fan is on top (think Volcano). Of course there is always taking the side cover off and putting a high flow box fan against it :) It'll be noisy but keep it cooler. OR what I do is have my A/C cranked up and have my intake fans right in front of my A/C vent. Nice and chilly on ma legs but in the summer it helps. In the winter I don't even bother to turn the heat on, my computers keep it nice and warm in my place.

papa_celms
07-08-2010, 12:51 PM
Well I'm putting down as bad airflow or power supply... It seems to work fine in my friends staying at a steady temp of 80 deg C under load which is about right since this is the turbo version of the card. I'm currently thinking that my hybrid physx card is restricting the airflow and consuming too much power. I kind of worried about that when I put it in, but after having it in there for a month or so I didn't worry about it.

I'm just leaving for classes now so I'll let you all know how it goes when I get back.

papa_celms
07-08-2010, 04:35 PM
EDIT: Still not fixed although the temp doesn't skyrocket anymore still get checkerboard except the last time it was on the desktop instead of ingame.

I know this is double post, but I wanted this to show up in the new posts..

Anyway After removing my 8800 physx card, and an extra hard drive I think I fixed the issue, guess Ill have to stick with my 1Tb and raid array.. but oh well...

It seems that I've been overtaxing my pwersupply, and dont ask me how that makes the graphics card over heat I dono...

Icewielder
07-08-2010, 05:23 PM
It might not have been overheating, it could very well just have been pulling to much power, what model PSU?

papa_celms
07-08-2010, 05:40 PM
its an ultra 650W, dono model off top of my head. The stranger thing is when i put it in my friends PC it seems to run stable but as soon as I put it im mine problems...

Im currently running his 4890 in my system and it works fine... although his is an asus and mines and HIS...

GrossKopf
07-08-2010, 07:42 PM
Well I'm putting down as bad airflow or power supply... It seems to work fine in my friends staying at a steady temp of 80 deg C under load which is about right since this is the turbo version of the card. I'm currently thinking that my hybrid physx card is restricting the airflow and consuming too much power. I kind of worried about that when I put it in, but after having it in there for a month or so I didn't worry about it.

I'm just leaving for classes now so I'll let you all know how it goes when I get back.

Yeah, 80 degrees is still way too hot.

Crotan
07-08-2010, 08:54 PM
Yeah, 80 degrees is still way too hot.

lol didn't you just have to leave our 2142 game monday night for overheating?

I agree 80C isn't what I would want running sustained for gaming, but it shouldn't be a damaging temperature. These cards are getting hotter and hotter and we just don't have effecient cooling systems in such a confined space

GrossKopf
07-08-2010, 09:04 PM
lol didn't you just have to leave our 2142 game monday night for overheating?

I agree 80C isn't what I would want running sustained for gaming, but it shouldn't be a damaging temperature. These cards are getting hotter and hotter and we just don't have effecient cooling systems in such a confined space

Yes, because the filters on the front of my case were clogged with dust, so air wasn't being sucked in. Since I cleaned them out, I haven't had any problems.

papa_celms
07-08-2010, 11:14 PM
Well I'm absolutly stumped... As I said earlier, it runs fine in my friends at the same temps, but in mine it dies... I'm currently about to try it in a 3rd machine see if that helps...

Icewielder
07-08-2010, 11:21 PM
Have you completely removed the drivers using driver sweeper, and reinstalled them?

Flygon_Wolfe
07-08-2010, 11:44 PM
I absolutely love how helpful everybody in the Clan is when somebody has a computer problem. Every time somebody has something that they need help with there's always a member who has ideas for what they can try to get things straightened back out. :)

papa_celms
07-09-2010, 12:15 AM
Have you completely removed the drivers using driver sweeper, and reinstalled them?

I actually just got done uninstalling all my graphics card utilites, So once im done installing the vid drivers on machine 3 I'll know if its my pc or not.

papa_celms
07-09-2010, 02:24 AM
Well It appears that my PSU has died. temp borrowed one and well no crashes. Guess I'll have to be more careful with loading it down. Especially since this ones only 3 months old lol.

Although Im not too worried since Ultra has lifetime warranty. I'll just have to wait now :(

Snarky
07-09-2010, 02:08 PM
lol I looked and saw your Power Supply died. I was going to say it could be a bad slot or unstable power going to the card.

papa_celms
07-09-2010, 08:30 PM
Well I talked to ultra, and since their out of stock of the 650W, their gona give me a 750W woot.

Crotan
07-09-2010, 08:33 PM
Good to hear it, I'd still pick up a HIGH CFM 120MM fan for the rear end of your case though http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=40000573%20600035565%20600035655&IsNodeId=1&Description=120mm&bop=And&Order=PRICE&PageSize=20

papa_celms
07-09-2010, 09:06 PM
I've already got a 120 mm in the back although the way the case is designed it doesn't seem to push much air...

As for the front, there is a place for 2 80 mm fans, but the front pannel is completly enclosed, Thus preventing air from entering or exiting the case.

Crotan
07-09-2010, 09:14 PM
I've already got a 120 mm in the back although the way the case is designed it doesn't seem to push much air...

As for the front, there is a place for 2 80 mm fans, but the front pannel is completly enclosed, Thus preventing air from entering or exiting the case.

It's not perforated at all? Am I looking at the right case http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811144102&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Cases+%28Computer+Cases+-+ATX+Form%29-_-APEVIA+CORP.-_-11144102

papa_celms
07-09-2010, 09:41 PM
Yes thats the right case.

The metal is, but there's a layer of plastic under it, so If I want to take advantage of the front fans I'd have to drill or cut holes in the front pannel.

Crotan
07-09-2010, 09:48 PM
well that's quiet a design error, when do you expect your new PSU to come in?

papa_celms
07-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Prolly in the next day or 2 since I payed for it with a credit card, and when they recieve my broken one they'll credit my account.

Snarky
07-12-2010, 03:27 PM
this is the case I have.

http://www.xoxide.com/clearacatxca.html