Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Mumble Online - Ventrilo Offline

I've converted our Ventrilo server to a Mumble server. Some features may be borked or not working correctly as I've only got about 35 minutes of experience with the interface so far. You should be able to connect, though, and at the very least chat with one another. If this isn't working, let me know and I'll figure out how to correct the problem. I'm at work at the moment so I'm unable to chat via voice comms, although I can listen briefly.

After installing and running through the initial mic setup steps, in the server list, click "Add New" and enter the following information to connect to the server:

Label: *whatever you want to name the server in your list, can be anything*
    Address: mbl6.gameservers.com
    Port: 10035
    Username: *whatever your desired username is*

You should be good. I would recommend after connecting to the server that you register your name with the server so we can adjust your permissions and set all members up with Kick/Ban access. Names must be registered in order for us to assign this access. To register, from the main Mumble screen click the "Self" menu and click on "Register" -- that's it, you should be registered, and we'll adjust your access accordingly as soon as we can. (This should circumvent the need for posting admin access requests here in the forums, streamlining that process entirely)

I still have a lot of questions and am still a bit confused on some aspects of the admin side of things, so I may be consulting some of you if you have experience with Mumble administration (looking at you, Poly). One big question: What does ACL stand for? Seeing that all over the place.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to drunkenpilot For This Useful Post:

synergy (09-30-2011)

Moved to the FLOT News forum.

I could be wrong as I've only heard about 10 minutes of audio (still at work) but is the sound quality of Mumble worse than Vent? Vent sounded clearer than this. Also the audio seems to cut out when someone is talking for any short length of time.

I haven't ever seen that before in mumble, but I'm having the same issues. I've run mumble servers off of 150 kb/s internet and it was crystal clear. I'm wondering if a codec is set wrong somewhere, this sounds like the CELT codec (which BLOWS). Speex is what I usually use.

no, mumble sounds much better to me,and quicker response time...

You have died of Dysentery.

Yeah and I think its on a low quality tho. As for speed, its epic, saved several of us already

ACL = Access Control List

Basically it represents varying spheres of permissions, so for example, those in @auth could have say, the additional option to create temporary subchannels, while those in @all would be only able to enter and exit and chat and so on.

I don't know what Gameservers bandwidth is set to. If you need a soundcheck/comparisons between servers, I've got my Mumble server set to the max possible bandwidth (which is actually above what the codec even allows, which is 90kbps). You can access it at mumble.cinotylop.org:36016.

Send me a note on Steam if you want me to sit down and hash out all the configuration options with you. I'll be around all weekend.

Ok I am LOVING mumble fast response and GREAT voice quality.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to marksman For This Useful Post:

Kit-Bar (10-01-2011)

Mumble is crystal clear for me. Its forcing all you microphone chewing, high gain crazys to be balanced! No more adjusting a volume effect level.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast