Changing Webhosts and Donation Drive

Making the Switch

You've probably all seen the thread in which we've been discussing which direction to go in regards to our webhost situation. We've been unhappy with Hostgator for some time now. Our problems with them in the past were primarily because of poor performance issues, but more recently they have been really dropping the ball with billing issues as well. Long story short, we are cutting the cord and making the switch to a new host.

InMotion Hosting will be our new home, but in order to make the switch we need to raise a bit more fundage. They offer three tiers of service, and rather than going with the highest package available as we have in the past, we're going with the mid-range "Power" package. It should be well above and beyond what we need.

Regarding price, we have been paying $15 per month with Hostgator for, I believe, two or three years now. InMotion's Power package is $8.99 per month, but the total yearly cost needs to be paid up front rather than in monthly installments. This equates to a little less than $110 total for the year, whereas we were originally spending $180 per year with Hostgator.

The move will provide us with less expensive, more stable service and (ideally) better customer support should any issues arise. (If it turns out in the future we need to go with their higher "Pro" tier package, we can make the switch to that and it will still be cheaper for us than Hostgator was.)

Donation Drive

We currently have just shy of $100 in our coffers, but we'd rather not tap into that too deeply unless we absolutely have to. It isn't much, and if any financial crises pop up we'll want to have that extra cushion, just in case. We're paid up with Hostgator for the rest of the month, so we have a couple of weeks to raise some fundage.

We need your help! Our goal with the donation drive is to reach $150. This will allow us to pay the $110 for the switch to InMotion as well as get a little bit more in our coffers to help cover any unforeseen expenses. I know that a few of us have some free games available to donators, myself included. If you make a donation (even $1!), you can choose from any of the games still available. Just PM me or post in this thread letting us know you've donated and state which game you'd like and it's yours. Simple as that.

The games I still have available for donators are as follows (Items will be marked in red as they are claimed):

Crysis 2: Maximum Edition
    Dead Space 2
    Cthulu Save the World + Breath of Death VII (indie RPG title)
    Surgeon Simulator
    Just Cause 2
    Dark Souls
    EYE: Divine Cybermancy (it's really bad!)
    Super Meat Boy
    Renegade Ops (2 copies)
    Anti-Chamber
    FTL
    Hitman Absolution
    Deus Ex: Human Revolution
    Deadlight
    Worms Revolution (1 copy remaining)
    Strike Suit Zero

Similarly, if anyone else has any games they'd like to offer up for the donation drive, feel free to post them in this thread and let folks know.

Thanks in advance, everybody. Let's kick Hostgator to the curb already!
    Last edited by drunkenpilot; 07-24-2014 at 07:09 PM.

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to drunkenpilot For This Useful Post:

Crotan (07-23-2014), Histor (02-12-2015), Killer0Monkey (07-23-2014), loco05 (07-25-2014), Shinobiwan (07-23-2014)

Veteran FLOT Member Killer0Monkey's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Just stuck $25 in

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Killer0Monkey For This Useful Post:

Crotan (07-23-2014), drunkenpilot (07-23-2014), Shinobiwan (07-23-2014), synergy (07-23-2014)

Thanks Monkey! Which game do you want?

Veteran FLOT Member Killer0Monkey's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpilot View Post
    Thanks Monkey! Which game do you want?
    One of the copies of Worms Revolution will do me

Done and done.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to drunkenpilot For This Useful Post:

Killer0Monkey (07-24-2014)

Blog Entries
    I have a fair amount of steam gifts and humble bundle keys to donate as well. If there is not a game on the list above that you are interested in, PM me and I can send something your way.

Keep FLOT going strong !

Hey all, I'm new but i'm down to help!

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CrunchBar For This Useful Post:

loco05 (06-10-2015), Shinobiwan (06-10-2015)