Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Battlefield Play4Free and Heroes to be shut down

Source: http://www.ea.com/news/update-on-a-f...-play-pc-games

Quote Originally Posted by Patrick Söderlund
    We’re constantly looking at how players are engaging with our games – listening, learning and shaping our experiences based on that feedback – and wanted to bring some news today regarding a few of our older PC free-to-play games.

Recently, we’ve been looking closely at the types of PC free-to-play experiences that players are engaging with across the world. For instance, Star Wars®: The Old Republic™ is a game that continues to have a very enthusiastic and growing player community, and we have plans to introduce more new story-driven game updates to ourStar Wars: The Old Republic players this year.

On the other hand, some of our other PC free-to-play games are not as popular as they once were. So we find ourselves announcing the tough decision today that we are stopping development and winding down support for four PC free-to-play titles: Battlefield Heroes™, Battlefield™ Play4Free,Need for Speed™ World and FIFA World. These games will be live for another 90 days, after which they will go offline.

In more than five years since most of these titles launched, how we play games has changed dramatically. These were pioneering experiences, and we’re humbled that, over the years, so many of you joined us to enjoy the games and the community. While we say farewell to these free-to-play titles in the next few months, we are always exploring new concepts and ways to bring great games to more players around the world.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Inquisitor For This Useful Post:

Shinobiwan (04-22-2015)

Play4Free was crappy but fun. I will miss the oppurtunity to play it, even though i probably wouldn't play it ever consistently again.

I really enjoyed Battlefield Heroes when it first came out. It ran on low spec hardware, which was great for playing on my school laptop.

I loved BF heroes, back before I joined FLOT me and 4 guys from my old clan LT played in the first ever torny for BFH, good fun.

But yea at this point its pretty meh compared to other offerings...

This pretty much hails the end of the Battlefield series as we once knew it. BF2/2142/H/P4F used basically the same gameplay mechanics to give us the perfect mix of strategic tactical squadplay and fast-paced action. BC2 and all further sequels have fully embraced the twitch gaming style and I think that's why we've seen such a decline in their popularity with the clan as a whole.

I think we all wanted BF3 to be FLOT's next "2142" but in reality is was mostly just a highly improved BC2. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast with BF3, and even BF4 is fun for me from what I've played of it, but as far as squadplay goes I always felt like teamwork was easier to coordinate in the earlier Battlefield gameplay model than it has been in recent incarnations.

From what I've seen, Hardline looks to be even further from where BF started than the rest.

The king is dead, long live the king, I guess.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to drunkenpilot For This Useful Post:

INLine (05-03-2015)

Veteran FLOT Member CosmoKramer's Avatar
    Still waiting for my Battlefield Vietnam rework.

Veteran FLOT Member CosmoKramer's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Inquisitor View Post
    It's a ghost town over there.

Quote Originally Posted by drunkenpilot View Post
    This pretty much hails the end of the Battlefield series as we once knew it. BF2/2142/H/P4F used basically the same gameplay mechanics to give us the perfect mix of strategic tactical squadplay and fast-paced action. BC2 and all further sequels have fully embraced the twitch gaming style and I think that's why we've seen such a decline in their popularity with the clan as a whole.

I think we all wanted BF3 to be FLOT's next "2142" but in reality is was mostly just a highly improved BC2. Don't get me wrong, I had a blast with BF3, and even BF4 is fun for me from what I've played of it, but as far as squadplay goes I always felt like teamwork was easier to coordinate in the earlier Battlefield gameplay model than it has been in recent incarnations.

From what I've seen, Hardline looks to be even further from where BF started than the rest.

The king is dead, long live the king, I guess.
    I don't know that I would extend that to Heroes or Play4Free. But yes, I'll be awaiting the next real battlefield game in the series, what ever year that may be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast